As we prepare for our Super Saturday in conjunction with La Favorita, we asked our resident expert and ex-Home Economics teacher Liz Simpson to check out the nutritional value of pizza...
Above is the Eatwell plate used as a basis for most nutrition teaching. If we break down the contents of a pizza it's clear that it can be a very good choice!
- Starchy foods = pizza base (deep pan best)
- Fruit and veg = tomatoes, onions, pineapple, mushrooms etc
- Milk and dairy = cheese
- Non Dairy protein - ham, pepperoni etc
- Foods high in fat/sugar = ?
Most pizzas meet the Eatwell plate in the correct proportions! As long as its not deep fried!
FAST FOOD does not necessarily mean BAD FOOD!
La Favorita has also provided us with nutritional information on their Pizzas!
Our dough is made with our own unique flour which is made for La Favorita, our flour consists of mother yeast which means that we have around a 30% lower gluten content than other flours . No one else in the world has the same flour.
The procedure we use to make our dough means that our dough must rest for 24 hours in the fridge and then the dough is removed from the fridge for a further 8 hours before the dough is ready for consumption. This procedure allows all the processes within the dough to take place which mean s that the dough is light, crispy when cooked and more digestible and healthy.
Within our dough is the following ingredients: flour, water, yeast, olive oil and salt for taste - there are no preservatives or additives.
As well as special dough there are other unique qualities:
- Our Tomato sauce is made in-house which consists of tomatoes, olive oil, salt and basil again nothing else added.
- Our chicken is marinated chicken breasts, cooked in house, again no additives or preservatives.
- Our vegetables which will be on the vegetarian pizza are fresh and chopped in house.
- Our Ham comes from Brescia again not processed but sliced in house within our shops.
- We use mozzarella on our pizza not a cheaper mix with cheddar added which many of our competitors use.
- We believe that we use the finest ingredients that are available most of which are imported in from Italy through our main Italian supplier CQS.
- We also always cook on log fired ovens.
So pizza does not have to be un-healthy if made the truly authentic Italian way.